On December 21, 1894, a meeting of the Fire Company sympathizers met at Town Hall. A permanent President and Secretary were elected. Mr. Jon C. Price was elected the first president and Job M. Smith was elected the first secretary of the Tuckerton Fire Company #1 with no opposition. T. Frank Pharo was also elected the Fire Company’s first chief this evening. During this meeting, a constitution and by-laws were adopted and the remaining officers were elected. The Fire Company enrolled 43 charter members this evening. By all accounts this meeting was the first organized meeting.
In August 1895, The Tuckerton Fire Company #1 took its first steps to incorporate. Up until this time, the company had no legal status. Hat, caps, and belts were ordered in September of 1895. The caps were ordered for $1.00 each with 5 cents additional for each letter.
In April of 1896, it was decided to foster Pohatcong Hook and Ladder Company to assist in the purchase of equipment. It was also agreed to allow the Hook and Ladder Company to meet in the firehouse until a permanent home for the equipment could be found. In September of 1896, a joint meeting of the Tuckerton Fire Company #1 and Pohatcong Hook and Ladder was held. Everything at this time pointed to two separate organizations, as was the case in many communities. That was all about to change. In January of 1897, the members of Pohatcong Hook and Ladder were elected to full membership in the fire company.
The first pieces of equipment placed into service lasted many years. The first motorized, self contained, engine purchased was a 1918. Ford Model T Waterous 250 gpm pumper. This was followed by a 1928 Sanford 500 gpm pumper.
The Y.M.C.A. purchased the J.J. Pharo property on January 1, 1933. On March 7, 1933, a 50' X 130' parcel of land was donated for the construction of a new firehouse. In 1934, a new Fire House was erected. The original Engine House on the “Mill Dam” was sold at auction to J.E. French of New Gretna for the sum of $50.00 and was torn down in 1935. The new building, which is on the present day site, was dedicated on January 2, 1934. This building consisted of three engine bays, which is the present day meeting hall.
Due to the size and the weight of modern fire apparatus, an addition was built onto the firehouse on North Green Street in the 1950's. The existing Engine Room was converted to the present day meeting hall. This remained until a new Engine Room was constructed in 1994.
During construction of the present day facility, the 1950's era engine room was removed. This made room for a more spacious, modern facility that can accommodate up to six pieces of apparatus. onstruction of the present day facility, the 1950's era engine room was removed. This made room for a more spacious, modern facility that can accommodate up to six pieces of apparatus.